Monday, February 28, 2011

Composting-Spreading the responsibility



In one of my previous posts, I said that you can't always make people do the right thing. Heated deliberations, forcing values upon others, and even guilt trips rarely change bad habits.

So if you can't beat them, make it easy and/or cheap for them to do the right thing. I tried to talk my dad into getting one of those compost bins but he wasn't interested and he didn't want an unsightly pile in his small yard.

With this in mind, I bought my dad a compost pail for Father's Day. He's always cooking and throws away tons of compost. When I make my weekly visits with my kids, I just bring him a clean, empty one and take the full one home. He gave me a smile understanding my ulterior motives but conceeded. Now I get a very full, heavy pail of compost for my pile which is good for me too. Basically, I've created a symbiotic relationship with composting with my family and it's become an ingrained habit that we've managed to keep up with.

P.S. The composting pail I use is one from Gardener's Supply Catalog. It's stainless steel and it really does a nice job keeping my kitchen from being stinky. I put it in the dishwasher to sanitize it and it's been holding up well for two years.

If you are in the market for a great pail, go to www.gardeners.com and look for the Brushed Stainless Steel Compost Pail - Item #38-560 $19.95. There are liners you can buy, but I've been using it without them and the interior gets some staining.

No comments:

Post a Comment